July 3, 2013

Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup

 
One of my goals when cooking for my family is to make as much as possible from scratch.  I try to avoid all those chemical filled store bought foods when possible, but of course there are occasions when I just don't have time to make the alternative "from scratch" option.  Add my own gluten sensitivity to the mix....and well, let's just say that life in the kitchen has gotten even more complicated. 

For myself, I have had to alter the way I eat severely over the last few months.  One thing I turn to often for lunch these days is soup.  Soup of all kinds, and no, I don't care that it's summer!  I came across this recipe for cream of broccoli soup and immediately thought "Come on....there's just no way that's going to be good."  However, curiosity got the better of me and I whipped up a batch of it to try.  Even though I was doubtful this would be any good, I was also hopeful because one of my favorite meals is broccoli chicken divan (click here for recipe).  The recipe I've used for years, and love dearly I might add, uses store bought cream of broccoli soup which I can no longer consume.  The thought of never having that meal again is actually quite depressing, but I am determined to figure out a substitute. 

Amazingly, I found this soup to be quite good!  I ate it for lunch three days in a row, then froze the rest.  It's tasty, thick and filling.  I was very satisfied with how this soup turned out......actually, truth be told - I was shocked at how good this soup was.  I plan to use it in my broccoli chicken divan recipe soon.  Fingers crossed it will be just the substitute I've been looking for!


Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup  (adapted from Lyn Genet) 

3 tbsp butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 cup water
1 can coco milk, full fat
4 cups broccoli, chopped
3 cups zucchini, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
Optional: cumin, tumeric, cayenne
I added a pinch of red pepper fakes

In a large pot, saute the onion, celery and spices in the butter until softened - about 10 minutes.  Add the coconut milk, water and chicken broth along with the broccoli and zucchini and cook until vegetables are tender.  Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth or until you reach your desired consistency.  Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

  1. Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.

    ReplyDelete