September 21, 2012

Gingerbread Pancakes


I love my husband dearly, but I have to say, he is not very food adventurous.  He likes things to be cooked the same way, no deviation from the "normal".  For example, take a dish like mashed potatoes - if I suggest adding something different to it like, garlic or bacon, he'll say "why can't you just make regular mashed potatoes"?  He is a creature of habit for sure!  I've accepted this about him, however, I am finding as my son gets older that he seems to be headed down that same path, and this is NOT OK with me!!

As the temperatures have started to drop, I've been thinking about dishes that remind me of fall.  I haven't made anything "different" for breakfast lately, so I searched through my recipes to see if I'd come across anything I haven't made in a while.  One thing I came up with was gingerbread pancakes, but when I suggested to my son I make them for breakfast his response was "why can't you just make blueberry"?  Blueberry pancakes are his favorite......so see how he seems to be following in my husband's footsteps???  I told him it won't kill him to try something new, but he didn't look too happy about it!


For me, gingerbread pancakes are not only yummy, but they are a great way to start off on a beautiful fall morning.  These pancakes have just a hint of gingerbread to them, so it's not at all overpowering.  They're delicious!  Oh, and my son ate them up without a problem

Gingerbread Pancakes (makes 12-14 pancakes)

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk 
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs

In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients, and whisk to combine.  In a small bowl, add the buttermilk & eggs and whisk together.  Slowly add the melted butter while whisking.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined - do not over mix.  Cook pancakes on a hot griddle or pan until golden brown and the middle is set.  Serve with pure maple syrup - Vermont syrup is best of course!

1 comment: