September 13, 2012

Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins


Over Labor Day weekend we decided to squeeze in another visit to Maine to hang out with my Aunt Judy & Uncle Rick.  Thankfully we had one day of beautiful weather because the other two days were rainy.  She was kind enough to stuff us with lobster until we couldn't eat another bite, and we spent the time just hanging out, talking and enjoying each others company....it was nice to get away! 

While chatting about food with my Aunt, she pulled out this recipe she had for cranberry yogurt muffins and said it was really good .  So I scribbled out the recipe and stuffed in my purse to try when I got back.  As it turned out, I decided to change a couple of key ingredients to fit what I had on hand (don't worry, I'll be making the original recipe sometime in the near future).  These turned out really delicious, so now I'm really excited to try the original recipe!  Another perfect snack for the boy to take to school - yay!




Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup lemon flavored yogurt
zest from one lemon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup blueberries 

Preheat oven to 375 and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, soak the oats in the yogurt with the lemon zest mixed in, for about 15 minutes.  Add the oil, sugar and egg and beat well to combine.  Sift in the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.  Before stirring, sprinkle in the blueberries over the flour mixture then stir until just combined.  Fill the muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  Makes 10 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment