May 29, 2013

Feta & Spinach Stuffed Chicken


Temps are starting to warm up here in Vermont again - THANK GOD!  This past weekend, the mountain near us actually got some snow.  I couldn't believe it....snow on Memorial Day weekend.  Is that crazy or what?  My husband said when he was a kid he remembers it snowed in August one year.  I'm sorry, but that's when I'd pack up and move.  As if summer isn't short enough as it is up here!  We bought everything to plant our garden over the weekend, but we are waiting.  I don't want to loose it all to frost, so hopefully this warm weather continues because I am anxious to get started.  There's just nothing better than growing your own veggies!

Since I am on a pretty restricted diet for now, dinners in my house for the past few weeks have been a little difficult.  Mostly I make my husband and son one thing, and something else for myself.  I am getting tired of that, so I'm on a mission to think of dinners to make that I can have and they will enjoy as well.  This chicken dish is a result of my brainstorming.  I can have chicken, spinach and feta.....and so this dish was born.  I'm sure someone out there has already thought of this combo, but for me it's a new dish.  Here's my version - enjoy!


Feta & Spinach Stuffed Chicken (serves 4)

4 boneless & skinless chicken breasts
1/2 large onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, chopped
olive oil
7 oz fresh spinach
1/3 cup feta cheese
Salt & Pepper

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet.  Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute another minute.  Add the spinach and let it wilt a little, but don't overcook.  Remove from heat and stir in the feta and salt & pepper to taste.  

Rinse and pat the chicken dry.  Season the outside of each piece of chicken with salt & pepper.  Cut slits into the side of each chicken breast, and spoon in 1/4 of the spinach mixture into each piece of chicken.  Close the opening and secure with toothpicks.  Heat another 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat.  Place chicken in skillet and cook until golden brown and completely cooked through, about 20-30 minutes (depends on how thick the piece of chicken is).  Remove toothpicks before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment