May 19, 2013

Strawberry Cake


This weekend I wanted to make a treat for my boys to enjoy.  Of course, I wanted to try something new (I think it's an obsession) so I took to Pinterest to see what I could find.  I came across this recipe and thought that it looked  and sounded delicious.  Gotta love Pinterest and all the other websites out there devoted to food.  As much as I tend to stay away from the constant progression of technology, the internet is one thing I could not live without!  It really is such a vast source of information and inspiration.  

This cake turned out to be so very delicious!  My son had a friend over and they both had a piece.  Later that night my son said his friend couldn't stop saying how good the cake was and even told his grandmother that his friend's mom makes a better strawberry cake than she does!  Haha....I doubt she appreciated that comment as much as I did!  I did make a few tweaks to the original recipe because I don't like desserts to have too much lemon flavoring.  I'd rather not taste the lemon, I just wanted it to subtly enhance the strawberry flavors in the cake.  Strawberry is the star of the show after-all!   My husband described the cake as moist and full of flavor.  The best part is no icing is needed, which makes this a wonderfully light and refreshing cake for spring and summer get-togethers.  Make this for your next cook-out - your guests will love it!


Strawberry Cake (adapted from A Spicy Perspective)


1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp lemon juice
 

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan and set aside.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.
With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.
Toss the diced strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup of flour, then fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool at least 30 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. In a small bowl whisk together the 1 tsp of lemon juice and the powdered sugar.  Add a dash of vanilla and a dash of water.  Stir well, and if it's too thick add a little more water until it reaches desired consistency (so you can pour it on the cake).  Drizzle over the top of the cake.

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! Perfect for a Sunday brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Your guests will LOVE it - everyone in my house did ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Joy, per caso il tuo blog (complice la John Wayne casserole) e l'ho trovato molto carino! Ora sei su uno dei miei blogroll (cuoche dell'altro mondo). Brava, continua così! Buona giornata, Valentina (http://lacuocacialtrona.blogspot.it/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weekend I wanted to make a treat for my boys to enjoy. Of course, I wanted to try something new (I think it's an obsession) so I took to Pinterest to see what I could find. cotton sheets on sale , bedding sets online , gul ahmed bed sheets 2018 , bed sheet design bridal , luxury duvet covers , razai set , sofa cover sheet , velvet blanket I came across this recipe and thought that it looked and sounded delicious. Gotta love Pinterest and all the other websites out there devoted to food. As much as I tend to stay away from the constant progression of technology, the internet is one thing I could not live without! It really is such a vast source of information and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete