September 18, 2012

Crunchers


Like many of you out there, I am addicted to Pinterest.  It's such a great resource for everything under the sun - I love it!  Whoever thought of it is a genius......why couldn't it have been me???

This past weekend we were having family over for dinner, and I decided I wanted to try something new for dessert.  So I went on Pinterest and searched for popular dessert recipes and came across this one called "Crunchers".  It was "pinned" a lot on Pinterest so I figured I'd give it a try. 

I didn't know what to expect as I read over the ingredients.  I was worried it would be too sweet, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.  Instead, it has that sweet & salty combination that I really like and it wasn't overly sweet at all.  The youngest pickiest eater in our family said it was "delicious", so I'd say it was a hit!  I will file this one away and I'm sure that I'll be making it again - thank you Twirl and Taste!

Crunchers (by Twirl and Taste

box of saltine crackers
1 cup butter
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Line a 9x13 baking dish with aluminum foil, leaving extra hanging over both ends, and spray with cooking spray.  Line the bottom of the dish with saltine cracker.  Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then stir in the graham cracker crumbs, both sugars and milk.  Bring to a boil, then continue to boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and spread half of the butter mixture over the saltines. 

Place another layer of saltines evenly over the butter mixture, then spread the rest of the butter mixture over the saltines, and top with another layer of saltines.  In a small saucepan combine the peanut butter, chocolate & butterscotch morsels.  Melt over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, then spread evenly over the saltines.  Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  Remove from pan using the foil overhang, then cut into bars.

8 comments:

  1. Oh good grief, these look divine!!! Better then the ones on Pinterest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog--the photos, the food, and the simplicity. Thanks for sharing. This recipe looks fabulous. Now I just need to find an occasion to make it so I don't eat most of it all by myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked Crunchers and thrilled that you tried it when there are so many delcious looking photos on Pinterest. You're always welcome at TwirlandTaste. Hope you have a great weekend.
    Happy Twirls,
    Libby
    www.twirlandtaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe calls for "1/2 butterscotch morsels". 1/2 what? 1/2 cup? 1/2 bag? Look good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that - yes, 1/2 cup! Hope you make them & like them! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Also, can I use Club Crackers or do they have to be saltines? Thanks- Lexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try the club crackers, but I do think the saltines add the saltiness that makes it so yummy! Good luck :)

      Delete