May 12, 2013

Chocolate Cobbler


Happy Mother's Day to all you amazing moms out there!  It is the hardest, and sometimes thankless, job there is but also the most rewarding.  So, relax with your loved ones and enjoy your special day.  I think my boys are taking me to see The Great Gatsby today...my 14 year old son sitting through that movie just for me - now that's love!  Haha☺

For the next few weeks most of my posts will be recipes I've collected that I've always wanted to try.  Since I am currently on a restricted diet, I figured it was a good time to try dishes that are geared towards what my husband and son would enjoy.  Over the years I have collected lots of those types of recipes!  This chocolate cobbler is one of them.  Since chocolate is not my favorite thing, I knew this would be the perfect time to make this. I had never heard of chocolate cobbler before, so I was intrigued.  This dessert is super quick and easy to throw together, which is an added bonus. 

I will admit that I got some of the sauce from this on my finger and so of course I had to lick it off.  Even though chocolate is not my favorite thing, that little taste made me want to eat it!  Very tasty - I bet it would be amazing with vanilla ice cream!  Anyway, my husband who loves chocolate, loved this dessert.  I asked him how it ranked in comparison to his favorite chocolate desserts (chocolate cake, chocolate cream pie and brownies) and he said he liked this better than brownies and chocolate cake and that it's tied with chocolate cream pie.  That tells me he REALLY likes this!  I will definitely be keeping this recipe and making if many more times in the future.  


Chocolate Cobbler (from www.bakeorbreak.com)
  
Cake:
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Topping/Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Cake: Preheat oven to 350.  In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.  Pour into an 8x8 baking dish that's been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. 

Topping/Sauce:  In a small mix together the sugar, brown sugar and cocoa.  Sprinkle this evenly over the cake batter, then pour the hot water over top - do not stir.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until the middle is mostly set (meaning when you jiggle the dish it barely moves in the middle).  Cool for 15 minutes before serving.  Spoon the sauce on the bottom over the cake when you serve it. 

6 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you & you are very welcome! Hope you are enjoying the day as well ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really delicious, yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the "cocoa" unsweetened cocoa powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unsweetened. I'll be sure to add that in! Hope you like it ☺

      Delete
  5. Rich, wonderful old-timey like cobbler!!!! Great for potlucks and get-togethers. Fast, easy and always a hit! Great with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete