March 12, 2013

Brie & Jam Bites


This recipe is a knock-off from one of my favorite appetizer's that my aunt makes.  Maybe you've seen it before - it's a block of brie topped with jam and wrapped in Cresent Roll dough.  You cook it, slice it, serve it warm and it is ooohhh soooo good!  Such a show stopping appetizer.  I can never stay out of it when she serves it.  I am so in love with sweet and savory combinations!

I wanted to make something similar, but I wanted to make it a little more "finger food" like. I also wanted to be able to have it on hand as a snack.  This is what I came up with, and I have to say I really love these things.  I think the best part about them is that you can use any jam you want - strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, fig, peach.....really, the possibilities are endless.  That fact that you can tailor it to your tastes is always a plus in my book!  They are good as an appetizer, a snack or even as a dessert.  Everyone in our house loves these little bundles (especially me I think). 




Brie & Jam Bites

Wedge/Circle of brie cheese, cut into 32 bite-size pieces
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1/2 cup of your jam of choice (I used my homemade black raspberry & strawberry jam)
Turbinado Sugar
Water
Spray bottle with water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray 2 cookies sheets with cooking spray.  Cut each pastry sheet into 16 squares (for a total of 32 squares). I did this by cutting each sheet in half, then I cut each half in half.  Repeat in opposite direction and you will end up with 16 squares. 

Place one piece of brie in the center of each square, then top each with about a teaspoon of the jam.  Wet your finger and run it along all four edges of a square, then bring the four corners together in the center and pinch together.  You also want to pinch along the edges to seal.

Once all my little bundles were done, I sprayed them with fresh/clean water – just lightly, don’t soak them.  If you don’t have a spray bottle, you could gently brush them with a little water.  Sprinkle each with the turbinado sugar.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

11 comments:

  1. These looks so good! Definitely planning on trying them soon!

    P.s. - I love your blog! Just started my own and yours is one I often look at!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erica! I just checked out your blog - looks like you have some yummy stuff on there :) I have family in Maine & love it there. Hope you like these & thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My hubs loves brie. I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious and EASY appetizer! I'm always trying to think of fun new ways to use brie...will definitely try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy to put together - hope you try them and like them ☺

      Delete
  5. Ahhh I love brie and anything that has to do with brie. This is such a fun and great recipe. Will definitely be making for my next get together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I was wondering do you think these would freeze well? and then be baked another day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good question - I haven't tried it, so it's hard to say. However, I think it would probably be OK to put them together, freeze & bake later. But, I'm thinking they may not be great if you bake them & then freeze them. In any case, I would try it because it's the only way to know for sure! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this recipe with cheddar and red pepper jelly. I used an imported French brand of puff pastry that's incredibly light and not greasy. It's expensive but delish. Thanks for the inspiration! I linked my cheddar and red pepper pastry puffs back to your blog and wrote a little blurb about you in the story and notes section. Thanks again! Jill from http://jillyinspired.blogspot.com/2013/04/sweet-spicy-cheddar-red-pepper-jelly.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire you - that's one of the best things about being in the food blogging world! Thanks for commenting & I can't wait to check out your post ☺

      Delete
    2. It was featured on Boston.com. Thanks again Little B! I pop on over here regularly for inspiration!

      Delete