March 3, 2013

Sweet & Spicy Bacon


Yesterday morning I decided to make this sweet and spicy bacon.  The idea has been in the back of my mind for a while now, so I was excited to give it a try.  My son asked me what I was making and when I told him he said it sounded disgusting.  My husband came into the kitchen and also asked me what I was making.  When I told him he just said "Interesting.  What's for dinner?"  I suggested BLT's to which he replied "Oh that sounds good, but not with that bacon.  We can't use that bacon for BLT's.  You gotta use regular bacon for BLT's."  Hmmm.....I decided not to push it at this point.  I was hopeful he'd like the bacon and change his mind.  

Off they went, my husband taking my son to work for the day, so I got busy on the bacon.  When it was done I hollered to my husband to come try it.  Turns out, despite his skepticism, he actually like it!  After the second piece he said "I bet that would be good on a BLT."  Haha....I knew he'd come around ☺ Since he was being so agreeable, I decided to treat him to his favorite homemade white bread for the BLT's (click here for the recipe).

When my son got home from work he tried the bacon.  He took a bite, then another, then finally said "that's pretty good!"  Later that night after he took a bite of his BLT he said "Mom, you should seriously open up a sandwich shop or something.  This is amazing!"  Isn't that sweet?  I just love him! ♥



Sweet & Spicy Bacon

1 lb thick sliced bacon
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Tabasco sauce 

Preheat oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place a wire rack on top.  Lay the bacon on the wire rack.  In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and Tabasco sauce.  Spread the sugar mixture evenly on top of each piece of bacon.  Cook in oven for 15 minutes, then turn each slice of bacon over.  Some of the glaze will drip onto the pan, so take a pastry brush and scoop that glaze up and spread it evenly on top of each piece of bacon.  Cook for another 15-20 minutes.  The overall cooking time will depend on how thick the bacon is so watch it closely.  Remove from oven when the fat has rendered down and the bacon is a nice brown color.   

1 comment: