March 5, 2013

Caramelized Onion, Bacon & Brie Grilled Cheese


If you read my last post for Sweet & Spicy Bacon, then you are already well aware of how delicious it is.  We all really loved it, and since we ended up having some left over, I spent a little time contemplating another perfect use for it.  

When I first made it we chose to use them on BLT's with my homemade sandwich bread.  Since I had some of both the bread and the bacon left over, I decided to make a grilled cheese sandwich.  But, not just any grilled cheese sandwich.....I decided this one needed to be super special.  So, I chose to use brie for the cheese and to add a layer of caramelized onions....topping it off of course with the chopped up sweet and spicy bacon.  

I knew in my own mind that this was going to be delicious.  However, I wanted to try it out with a little test run, so I made just one sandwich to start with.  I cut it into fours and all three of us dug in.  OH.MY.GOD.  This was definitely the best grilled cheese I've ever had.  Sooooo decadent, rich, gooey, sweet yet savory....AMAZING!  We were all ooohhhing and ahhhing as we chewed.  It's good.  No, it's ridiculously good.  This is a must try for anyone out there who may actually be reading this.....make this.  You have to!


Caramelized Onion & Brie Grilled Cheese

Nice thick slices of bread, 1/4-1/2" thick (click here for my homemade sandwich bread)
Brie Cheese
1/2 a medium sized onion, sliced thin
Sweet & Spicy Bacon (click here for recipe), 2 pieces roughly chopped
Butter

In a saute pan melt about a tablespoon of butter.  Add the onion and saute on low until translucent and a nice golden brown (this could take about a 1/2 hour).  When done, remove the onion from the heat and set aside.  Preheat oven to 425, and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place a few tablespoons of butter in a small bowl and soften/slightly melt it in the microwave - you want it nice and soft to spread on the bread.  I had a circle/wheel of brie already on hand, so I just cut it in half lengthwise then trimmed off the rind. 

Spread the butter on one side of two pieces of bread.  Place the circle of brie on the un-buttered side of one piece of bread, then top with top with the caramelized onion and bacon.  Place the other piece of bread on top, un-buttered side down.  Place sandwich on baking sheet and cook for about 8-10 minutes (or until nice a golden brown on the underside), then flip the sandwich and cook another 5-8 minutes.  You want both sides to be a nice dark golden brown and for the cheese to be melted & gooey.  *This recipe is for one large sandwich, so you will need to increase quantities to make more sandwiches.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment