December 29, 2012

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup


Butternut squash happens to be one of my favorite vegetables, and yet I hardly ever cook it.  For some reason it only occurs to me to make it around the holidays, and then I forget about it for the rest of the year.  So, I recently decided I need to incorporate it into our lives more often.  That's when this soup came to mind....well, that and the fact that it was 5 below zero the other morning and cold weather always makes me crave soup.  Soup always hits the spot on a cold winter day. 

I love the combination of squash with the apples in this soup.  I also like that it's thick and filling.  One bowl for lunch and I'm stuffed, which in my book that makes it perfect!  It's also a wonderful soup for a first course when having company.  Since I've fallen off the wagon when it comes to eating healthy lately, I think this soup will make an appearance on my table more often in the coming months.    



 Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 apples, peeled & cored and cut into chunks
2 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled with seeds removed and cut into chunks
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup water +
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup half & half
1 tsp salt
1/4 pepper
1/2 tsp coriander 
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat, then add the diced onions.  Cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. 

Add the cut squash, apples, coriander, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cider, water and chicken stock and 1/2 & 1/2 to the pot.  Bring to a boil, cover and cook on medium-low for about 45 minutes or until squash and apples are soft.  Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree it until almost smooth (you can use a food processor if you don't have an immersion blender).  After it's blended you may want to add more water or stock to get the consistency you prefer - I added another 3/4 cup of water.  The soup should be thick, but you can thin it out if that's how you like it. 

16 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect! I'm going to make this for lunch ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - hope you like it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. Loved it! Making it again tonight :)

      Delete
    3. Yay, I am so glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know - I appreciate the feedback :)

      Delete
  2. When is the half and half added?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - you add it when you add the chicken stock. Hope you love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for dinner last week, was so delicious! I live in Thailand, so i used a Thai Pumpkin instead of Butternut. Thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like it! I am actually bringing this to work for lunch today :) Thanks for visiting ALL THE WAY FROM THAILAND & for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much water do you add the first time? It is not in the list of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about that - about a cup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could also require these UNITED STATE Facebook Suches as for gaining competitions that are held online. buy usa facebook likes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you looking for genuine valid YouTube likes? Leave behind your worries, we'll adequately help you to buy real youtube subscriber

    ReplyDelete