March 1, 2013

Mini Corn Dogs


Happy first day of March everyone!  Spring is just around the corner and the thought of it just makes me smile ☺.  This week my son has been on school vacation, so for me it has been a week of making sure there's plenty at the house for him to munch on.  One thing that came to mind were these mini corn dog muffins.  They are super quick to make, and he loves corn dogs so it was perfect.

I personally do not eat hot dogs.  I've never like them, not even as a kid.  I always think I want one when I smell them cooking on the grill though, but then I take a bite and I remember that I don't like them.  However, both my son and husband like them so if they want to have it on the dinner menu I just cook up an apple chicken sausage for myself.  The odd thing is that as a kid I too liked corn dogs and ate them often. But it's been a loooonnnggg time since I've had one!

My son loves these things and was happy to eat them for dinner and for snacking during the week.  I figure, if he's going to eat a corn dog I prefer it be one I've made instead of the store bought variety.  They smelled so good as I pulled them out of the oven, so I decided to try one.  I surprised myself - I actually liked them and ate another one!  I guess I still like corn dogs.....just not regular hot dogs.  Go figure.



Mini Corn Dog Muffins (makes 36 mini muffins)

6 hot dogs (whichever kind is your preference - we use natural casing dogs) 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal 
½ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg


Preheat oven to 350, and spray your mini muffin tins with cooking spray.  In a medium skillet on medium heat, brown the hot dogs for about 5-8 minutes (just until they start browning, you don't want them to be burnt or for the skin to be too tough).  Remove from heat and cut each hot dog into 6 pieces.  

In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients for the corn muffin mixture.  Add the egg, milk and vegetable oil and stir until just combined.  Fill each cup in the muffin tins about 3/4 full.  Place and press one piece of hot dog into the center of each muffin cup.  Cook for 10 minutes at 350, then increase heat to 400 and cook another 3-5 minutes - you want them to be nicely browned, but not burnt, so watch them closely.  Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing from trays.  Serve with your favorite hot dog condiments. 

24 comments:

  1. I love these little corn dogs, so cute. What a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, 1/2 cup of sugar? It´s a sweet recipe or the final result is salty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cornbread is a little on the sweet side but not overly so. The salty hot dogs balance it out nicely.

      Delete
  3. Simple enough. But I will try this recepie using a box mix. Just want to try it tonight and I have a lot to do before suppertime. Thanks for the fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried freezing them, but I would think it would be fine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These seem simple enough to make and I can make a large amount at a great cost! Thnaks

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Turned Out Delicious. Thanks For The Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this recipe. Greetings from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting all the way from Sweden! Hope you'll give the recipe a try ☺

      Delete
  8. Hi! What a great idea! I added your blog address to my blog list on my blog (http://themakedomom.blogspot.com/) because you have so many cool recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you - I appreciate the exposure! Thanks for visiting and commenting ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. How would I do this recipe without egg?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Audry, try using dry egg replacer.....sold in health food aisles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that was what I was going to suggest as well.

      Delete
  12. This was a great recipe...I bbq'ed my hot dogs. I did try using a slightly larger mini tart pan, they kind of fell apart, mini muffin as stated above is better. I get sick on sugar so used splenda but tried a few drizzled with a tiny bit of good quality honey and I quite liked but my family did not. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe for an afternoon bites for the kids. However, mine did not turn out brown despite the fact I left them longer in the oven. It's also hard to change the recipe to another language. I replaced cornmeal with Maizena as I hv no idea what is cornmeal here and where to get it. Any ideas? However, my family & neighbours liked it and complimented tt it was yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the recipe. We just got done with lunch, they were delicious. I also exchanged the oil for homemade applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FUN idea! I have made "pretend" corn dogs for years (with the added benefit of being able to make them gluten free!)...lining up hot dogs in the bottom of a 9x14 pan with space between each one, and then pouring corn bread batter over them, not super thick, then when they are baked, cutting them into long rectangles. Nope, not exactly like corn dogs, but the next best thing :) I will do the same using your fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for commenting Ana - I'm glad you liked them! The amount of sugar is all about personal preference ☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. replica bags 168 mall useful reference m2m39a1j98 replica bags and shoes see this here z8d46a4l32 buy replica bags online replica bags vancouver replica bags in delhi fake hermes m5b59w5o80 replica bags koh samui

    ReplyDelete