June 21, 2013

Almond Cake


I love to comb through old recipe books and magazines.  It seriously is a favorite pass time of mine, one which I seem to never have any time for lately.  It's been a while since I posted a new recipe that I've tried - mostly because some of the things I've tried lately haven't been a huge hit in my house.  It doesn't always have to "be a hit" but I have to at least like it, and for some reason I just haven't loved the recipes I've been picking to try lately.  Oh well...they can't all be winners!

I have no idea when or where I came across this recipe, but it was in my stack of recipes to try.  Since my son is on summer vacation, I need to have lots of snacks around for him.  Ah, to be young again with that bottomless pit of a stomach!  I think I chose this one simply because I have lots of almonds in my house at the moment.  This is a light cake, perfect for snacking.  I think it would be nice to serve at a brunch or tea party (do people have those anymore?).  My son liked it, but my husband didn't love it.  However, that's because he doesn't care for almonds.  If you like almonds, you will definitely enjoy this cake.  I am giving my slightly adapted version of the original recipe, but I'm thinking you could double the topping and it would be even better.  I'll try that next time I make it.



Almond Cake (adapted from a 1963 Pillsbury Recipe)

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp lemon zest

Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup almonds, sliced
2 tbps milk
Few drops almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8" cake pan with cooking spray.  In a small bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.  In the bowl of an electric mixer add 1/4 cup softened butter and 1/4 cup sugar - beat on high for 1 minute.  Add the egg & vanilla and beat on high for 1 minute.  Add half of the dry ingredients and beat on low until incorporated, then add the milk and beat until incorporated.  Add the last of the flour mixture and beat until just combined.  Fold in the lemon zest, then add mixture to the cake pan.  

Topping:  Add the 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, sliced almonds, 2 tbsp milk and almond extract to a small saucepan and heat on medium, stirring constantly.  Once mixture comes to a boil, let it boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and pour over cake batter.  Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, today I'm collecting recipes using cherries and/or almonds. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post on Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most delicious cakes I've ever eaten - there is nothing to change in this recipe - perfect - thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete