June 19, 2013

Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce

 
The first time I had a chimichurri sauce I fell in love.  So good.....on any and everything!  I could have eaten it by the spoonfuls that first time I tried it.  My husband on the other hand - it's so not his thing.  Because of that, I have never bothered to make it before.  However, my restricted diet is becoming very boring so I have been looking for ways to boost flavor where ever I can.

Since I eat chicken almost everyday, I pondered what I could add to it that would still remain in the realm of my diet guidelines.  Since garlic, herbs and olive oil are all OK for me to consume right now I figured chimichurri sauce would be a nice change for my boring old chicken.  I am a huge fan of cilantro, so I decided to try my hand at a cilantro based chimichurri sauce.  Man, this stuff is so good!  Get creative and try it on different things - it's great on any meat, bread, on salad, etc.  YUM!   

PS - most people just drizzle a little sauce on their meat, but as you can see from my picture above, I kinda smothered my chicken with it!  If you've never had it before, start with a little drizzle and add more if you don't think it's too overwhelming.  




Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce (serves 6-8)


1 1/2 cups cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of red pepper flakes or to taste
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor to combine.  You can also just chop everything by hand for a more rustic looking chimichurri sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I love chimichurri sauce too. I can drizzle it on about anything (except dessert, maybe). :P I love the wonderful flavor and vibrant green it brings to the meat.

    ReplyDelete