June 17, 2013

Maple Pecan Pie


The other day my husband was driving on a road that is being worked on a few towns over.  After driving over the stones they had laid down, he soon discovered he had 3 popped tires.  Unfortunately, he had no cell service, so he had to walk 3 miles to the nearest garage.  The guy who ran the place said he's repaired 150 tires from cars driving on those stones.  Wonder whose bright idea it was to lay those sharp stones down!  My husband missed a bunch of appointments for work and spent half the day trying to find new tires for his truck.  

Since he had such a rough week, and in honor of Father's Day, I made him this maple pecan pie.  Pie, any pie, is my husband's favorite dessert.  A few months ago he emailed me this recipe and in the subject line wrote "PLEASE!"  Haha ☺  I printed the recipe out and put it in my pile of recipes to try.  When I was trying to figure out what pie to make him, this one came to mind immediately.  Since I've never made this pie before I was a little worried about how it would turn out.  Thankfully, it turned out beautifully and my husband loves it.  In fact, he just asked me to make another one next week so he can bring it to his parents.  This recipe is a keeper!



Maple Pecan Pie (adapted from Sally Wilkins Sweet)

1, 8" pie crust (click here for recipe - you just need to cut it in half, or freeze the other half)
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup Dark Amber maple syrup (Vermont syrup is best of course!)
1 cup pecan halfs
pinch of salt
pinch of ground nutmeg

Line a 8" pie plate with your dough and crimp the edges.  Preheat oven to 375.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs.  Add the sugar, salt and nutmeg and beat until well incorporated.  Slowly drizzle in the butter as you are beating.  While the mixer is still going, add the syrup and beat for another minute.  Turn off mixer and stir in the pecans.  Pour mixture into pie plate and cook for about 40 minutes, or until middle doesn't jiggle anymore.  Cool completely before cutting and serving.

3 comments:

  1. This is getting ridiculous. Have wasted way too much time trying to post a comment about your strawberry-rhubarb thingy. Will try posting it here on a different page and see if that works. (Also unable to subscribe to comments, as the link fails).

    ARRGG! After typing my comment, I clicked the Preview button and all it did was erase everything I'd written. No Preview. Now I have to start all over from scratch. It did it a second time, but this time I had copied the message first. On my third try, I'll just skip Preview and try the Publish button. Nope, same thing. My message disappears. For my 4th try, I'll select Anonymous, and then Preview. Didn't work. Now for my 5th try, I'll try Anonymous and Publish. I give up. This feature does NOT work! I'll search for an email address and send it that way if I can, but I'll be surprised if I find an email address.

    You call for 1 pie crust recipe, but then you say to use only half. So why not say 1/2 the crust recipe? I'm confused.

    We might want to use our own trusted crust recipe. So which do you mean, are we to use half of a 2-crust pie recipe (full recipe for a 1-crust pie), or are we to use half the recipe for a 1-crust pie? I'm guessing you mean use a full recipe for a 1-crust pie, but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL... my comment finally "took," only on the wrong page. Please respond to the question posted, which is about a different recipe, as indicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez - sorry you had so much trouble. I have found lots of glitches myself and it can be very frustrating. You need one pie crust - I said I put the other half in the freezer because if you click on the link I provided for the crust it is for a double pie crust (top and bottom). Sorry if that is confusing, but hopefully I've cleared that up for you. Happy 4th!

      Delete