November 27, 2012

Chocolate Delight


This past weekend we had my step-son and his wife and their 3 kids, and my step-daughter and her fiance over for dinner.  This can sometimes be challenging because I always want to make something that everyone will like, and since we have a few picky eaters in the group, this is just not always easy to accomplish!  

This time my focus was on dessert.  Cookies are always a safe bet, but I really wanted to present something different , so I went with this chocolate delight dessert.  I'm sure you've come across it somewhere at some point in your life.  It goes by many names (Sex In a Pan, Mississippi Mud Pie, Better Thank Sex Cake, etc) and there are several variations of it as well.  This is my version of it.  I figured most people like pudding and chocolate, so I was pretty sure everyone would like it.  It was a hit, especially with the kids!  I thought it was good and you don't need to be an avid baker to put this together.  It is perfect for kids or when you want to make sure to please everyone's tastes if you are having company.  Definitely perfect for a potluck!  It's easy, it's yummy.....you just can't go wrong!  I see this being made many more times in the years to come.    



Chocolate Delight

1, 3.4oz package Chocolate Pudding, make according to package instructions & refrigerate
1, 3.4oz package Vanilla Pudding, make according to package instructions & refrigerate 
2 cups homemade whipped cream for top layer (can substitute Cool Whip)
2 cups + Toffee bits

Crust:
1 cup pecans, chopped into small pieces
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

Cream Cheese Layer:
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup homemade whipped cream (can substitute with Cool Whip)

The first thing you want to do is make the pudding and set it aside in the refrigerator until you're ready for it.  Next, preheat your oven to 350 and generously spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  For the crust, process all of the crust ingredients in a food processor to combine.  Pour into baking dish and press it evenly on the bottom of the dish.  Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool completely before putting the dessert together.

Once crust is cooled, you can prepare the cream cheese layer.  Add the cream cheese & sugar to bowl of electric mixer and mix until fully combined.  Add the 1 cup of whipped cream and mix until light and fluffy.  Spread evenly over the crust, then sprinkle about 1 cup of toffee bits evenly over cream cheese layer (I am guessing on the amount, I just added enough to cover it lightly).  Next spread the chocolate pudding evenly, then the vanilla pudding on top of that.  Top with the last 2 cups of whipped cream, and sprinkle 1+ cups of toffee bits on top of the whipped cream.  Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.

13 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious with the toffee bits! I have a similar reicpe, but I think I'll do it with yours next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  2. How many packages of pudding do you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be good to know wouldn't it?? Haha - it's 1, 3.4oz package of each type of pudding. I updated the recipe to reflect that :)
      Hope you like it & thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. How good does that look? I would love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes - 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs. Good catch!

      Delete
  5. Yay, glad you liked it & thanks for commenting - ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you able to freeze this at all? Or no?
    It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I have not tried it, I do not think it would do so well in the freezer. However, there's only one way to find out :)

      Delete
  7. see it here u9p42a5x76 Louis Vuitton replica Bags replica bags ru Home Page q0i01q1z63 high end replica bags replica bags chicago 7a replica bags meaning view it now l9a82j2t54 replica bags vancouver

    ReplyDelete