November 1, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Bread Sticks


Everyone loves bread right?  Even if you are like me, and you try to stay away from it, you still love it I'm sure.  Sometimes I get tired of my old stand-by roll recipes (even though they are delicious, click here for recipes), so bread sticks are a nice change from the usual.  I make a batch, then freeze some to have another time.  

These bread sticks are super easy to make, which makes them perfect for when you have company for dinner.  Don't be afraid of making these.  I really don't think you could mess them up!  Now, if I could just figure out how to cook them so they aren't flat on one side.....that would make me happy, but that's just the perfectionist in me.

Garlic Parmesan Bread Sticks

2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsp melted butter 
4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt

1 stick unsalted butter
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes, or until mixture is frothy looking.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, sugar and 2 tsp of salt.  Add the yeast mixture and melted butter to the flour, and mix on medium low speed just until dough is smooth.

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Pull off pieces of the dough, roll into strips and place on cookie sheet - this recipe will make 8 big bread sticks, or 16 smaller ones.  Cover with a tea towel and set cookie sheet in a warm area for about 45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400, and once the bread sticks are done rising place them in the oven.

In a small saucepan, melt the stick of butter.  Add the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt.  Once the bread sticks have cooked for 6 minutes, pull them out and brush half of the butter garlic mixture evenly over all the bread sticks.  Place them back in the oven and continue to back for another 8 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush the rest of the butter garlic mixture evenly over the sticks.  YUM!

5 comments:

  1. think you forgot a step :( You don't say when to add the sugar, but I mixed it in with the other dry ingredients. Also, this dough was so tough to mix, my bread hooks just stopped dead. I finished the process by hand. Just waiting for them to rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right I did, but you were right to add it with the flour. I didn't have the problem of the dough being tough though. Hope it works out OK anyway for you because these have always been super yummy!

      Delete
  2. Do you usually freeze the dough or the cooked breadsticks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually freeze after they are cooked, but you can also freeze the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get a tin with large rounded grooves in for making baguettes, that might work, but what it is called or where you would get it from I have no idea

    ReplyDelete