November 18, 2012

Crab Rangoon


As you know, I strive to make as much from scratch as I possibly can.  There's nothing close by where we live - the grocery store and fast food restaurants are at least a half an hour away.  I've gotten used to it.  It just requires some planning ahead.  But when you are in a crunch, or you just don't feel like cooking, it can be a little annoying.  Sometimes you just want take-out Chinese, or you forget a key ingredient at the grocery store! 

My favorite thing to eat when we buy Chinese food is the crab rangoon.  I could eat just that and nothing else, and be completely satisfied.....although I'm not sure my stomach would appreciate that!  So I decided it was time to perfect the recipe so I can enjoy it at home whenever I want ...which could be dangerous.  I have finally gotten the recipe down so it tastes just like the crab rangoon we all know and love.  

 
The first time I made crab rangoon I decided I would use REAL crab.  I figured if I used the real thing it would be even more fabulous!  WRONG!  It was disgusting.  It tasted waaayyyy too fishy and none of us liked it, so that batch went in the trash.  Such a shame because real crab is not cheap and I hate wasting food.  Who knew the imitation crab would be so essential in this recipe?!?!?  It is though, and this recipe is soooooo gooooooodddd you'll forget all about the fact that it's imitation crab meat.  We almost never have any left by the next morning.  This is super easy and quick to make, so don't be afraid to try it.  You'll thank me later! ☺

Crab Rangoon

8 ounces of cream cheese, at room temperature

22-24 wan ton wrappers
1/3-1/2 cup imitation crab meat, chopped  

1 1/2 green onions, minced
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4  teaspoon soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
vegetable oil, for frying


Add the cream cheese, soy sauce, green onions and garlic powder to a medium size bowl and cream it all together until nice and smooth.  Stir in crab.  In a large cast iron skillet heat enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan on medium heat.

In a separate small bowl beat the egg. Lay out a wanton wrapper so it forms a diamond shape and place 1 teaspoon of filling just below the center of each wrapper.  Brush the opposite corners of the wanton wrapper with the egg mixture. Fold over the edges of the wrapper to form a triangle and seal tightly.  Repeat until all the filling is gone - it should make about 22-24 rangoons.

Fry the rangoons in batches in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on each side.  

8 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe! And one more feature for you on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ
    and on our new Google+ page https://plus.google.com/b/106005539369109733836/106005539369109733836/posts Congrats!
    Stop by and add us to your circles if you're on Google+

    ReplyDelete
  2. these were so amazing thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know you liked them - they really are soooo good ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these....they are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very welcome & glad you liked them ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. just made these, very easy, and just like my favorite chinese restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Featuring on Yum Goggle's FB page this evening in celebration of Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete