July 16, 2012

Cheesy Bread Sticks


Ahhh, cheesy bread sticks.....let me just say, KIDS LOVE THESE THINGS!  When I worked as the head cook at my son's elementary school, this lunch was hands down the top seller.  OK, who am I kidding, it's not just kids who love these....grown ups do too!  I will admit that because they were such a big hit at the school, I dreaded those days that they were on the menu.  It was a lot of work making these from scratch for 240 in three hours.....along with preparing all the sides that went with it!  Can you tell I don't miss that job too much???

Now that I haven't worked there for a few years, I make them at home once in a while for my family.  We all love them!  If my son is having a few friends over and I know I'm giving them dinner, I'll make these and they gobble them up.  They are also a good finger food, either for an appetizer or as part of a light dinner with salad, and really they even good just to snack on.  You gotta try these...you won't be disappointed!



Cheesy Bread Sticks
 
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast (or 1 1/2  packages)
3 1/4 cups flour
3 oz warm water (3/8 cup)
1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 tsp salt

3 1/2 tbsp sugar
3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup +  2 tbsp water

1 stick of butter
2-4 tsp chopped garlic
Shredded mozzarella, 4 + cups  
  • Dissolve yeast in warm water, and let stand 4-5 minutes. 
  • Place all dry ingredients (flour, dry milk, sugar, and salt) in mixer bowl.  Using a dough hook, blend on low speed for approximately 2 minutes.
  • Add oil and blend on low speed for 2 minutes.
  • Add water.  Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
  • Add dissolved yeast and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
  • Knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
  • Spread dough out onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Place in a warm area to rise for about 45 minutes to an hour.  You want it to be about doubled in size.
  • Melt butter together with the chopped garlic.  With a pastry brush, brush the butter and garlic all over the dough GENEROUSLY.  You want it to have a good amount of butter and garlic.  When I worked in the kitchen, we sometimes didn't have fresh garlic so I'd use powdered garlic instead.  If you use powdered garlic add a generous amount to the butter, or to your preference.
  • Layer the cheese on top of the butter mixture, again GENEROUSLY!  You want a lot of cheese, because it is cheesy bread sticks afterall!  Rule of thumb for me - add enough cheese so that you don't see any dough peeking through.  The amount of cheese will vary based on your preferences.  
  • Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.  Check after 10 minutes and turn tray around.  Watch closely for the next 10 minutes because you don't want the cheese to get too browned.....well, at least I don't!
  • Remove from oven and wait a couple of minutes before cutting.  I cut tray into thirds, and then into strips.  Serve with warmed pizza or spaghetti sauce.  Serves 4-6.

4 comments:

  1. Those sound (and look) delicious. Just printed out the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look just like the Domino's cheesy bread which I looooove! SOunds like a great appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's perfect as an appetizer or as part of a meal & serve with salad. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful bread sticks! They must be so yummy, gooey and garlicky :-) I have to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete