July 19, 2012

Watermelon Salsa


This past weekend was both my husband and my son's birthdays.  Their birthdays are one day apart, which I hate - I always feel like neither of them are getting enough attention!  Plus I have to figure out what kind of cake to make that they both like (because making two cakes is just a little ridiculous).

Anyway, we had all the kids and grand kids over for a cookout to celebrate.  Since it was very hot outside, I decided I wanted to make a light and refreshing appetizerI came across this recipe and thought it sounded exactly like what I was looking for, but I will admit I was a little worried it wouldn't be a big hit because there are some picky eaters in this group.  But since I was in the mood to try something new I decided to go for it.  

 
I was shocked to discover that everyone really liked it.  Such an interesting mix of flavors, and yet somehow they all come together and taste fabulous.  My step-daughter's boyfriend couldn't even tell it was watermelon!  No one could keep their hands out this appetizer, so I would say it was a total hit.  I will be making this many more times for sure!

Watermelon Salsa

3 cups watermelon, diced
6 oz feta cheese
2 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, rolled up & sliced thin
1/2 cup cilantro, rolled up & sliced thin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
salt & pepper to taste

Place the first 6 ingredients into a medium sized bowl.  For the dressing, place the remaining ingredients into a smaller bowl and stir well to combine, making sure the brown sugar is dissolved.  Season dressing with salt & pepper to taste.   Pour dressing over salsa, and stir until well mixed.  

This can be served immediately, or you can cover and let it set in the refrigerator for several hours.  I find that the longer it sits the more juice it makes, so once in a while I would drain off some of the juice just so it's not too watery.

1 comment:

  1. Hi There! I wanted to let you know I featured you on Sugar Blossoms. Stop by and check it out!
    http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/06/17-savory-salsa-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete