July 7, 2012

Pineapple Coffee Cake

 
Since my son seems to like coffee cake so much, I decided to give this recipe for Pineapple Coffee Cake that I came across months ago a try.  I thought it sounded interesting, but unfortunately my son did not seem too excited about it.  Lucky for me, even if he doesn't love something I've made, he'll eat it anyway.  He's a good boy ;)

Oddly, I was the one who couldn't stay out of this cake!  I really liked it.  I've never had anything quite like it.  It's a very dense cake, and I'm thinking it's not really like coffee cake at all.  To me it seemed more like a dessert cake, but no matter what you call it, I had no problem eating it!  My husband liked it too, but my son couldn't get passed the fact that it's not like other coffee cakes I make and said he'd be fine if I didn't ever make it again.....the stinker!  He did it eat it though, just like I knew he would. This recipe may not have been a "slam dunk" in my house, but I think I will hold on to this recipe anyway.  I'm sure there will come a day when I'll want to make it again.


Pineapple Coffee Cake (sprinkledwithflour.com)
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups vanilla yogurt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple, drained & reserve the juice

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2. cup butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Pineapple Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
reserved pineapple juice

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl beat the eggs, yogurt, vanilla and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended, then fold in the pineapple.  Pour batter into your baking dish and add with the topping (below).

Topping: Combine flour, sugar and butter. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly, then mix in the chopped nuts.

Bake cake for 40-45 minutes, or until middle is set and cake is lightly browned. Allow cake to cool for 10 while you make the glaze (see below).

Glaze: Stir the powdered sugar and enough of the pineapple juice to reach your desired consistency. Drizzle over the top of the entire cake.

2 comments:

  1. I made a fruit coffee cake today, too, we're on the same page. This one sounds very moist, and I love that pineapple glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I think this is a great recipe, especially if you are looking for something different! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete