July 9, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


I think I mentioned before that I have been on a quest for quite some time to try and replicate the oatmeal raisin cookies that a local sandwich shop makes.  Besides the fact that they taste fabulous, the texture of their cookies is just perfect.  Dense and chewy, just the way I like it.  It has taken me years to come up with this recipe, but I think I've finally achieved it....or at least I've come pretty darn close!

The only way to tell for sure would be to do a side by side taste test, which I have not done yet.  I will have to stop by there and buy one of their cookies so I can be sure that I've cloned their recipe.  Either way, I am very proud of myself for getting this far!  These cookies are so good.  I haven't been able to stop myself from eating them and oatmeal raisin cookies aren't even my favorite cookie!  If you are looking for an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that is dense and chewy, with a little spice, this recipe is for you!



Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup butter flavored shortening

1 1/2 cups brown sugar 
2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 and spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray, and set aside.  In a large bowl cream together the brown sugar and shortening.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until mixture becomes light in color. 

In a separate bowl, sift together all of the dry/remaining ingredients.  Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until combined.  Place oatmeal in bowl of food processor and pulse about 4-6 times - you want the oatmeal to be somewhat ground, but not completely.  

Add the raisins and oatmeal, and fold them in until combined.  Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets.  Bake about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let them set on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before removing and placing on wire racks to cool completely. 

2 comments:

  1. These sound like great cookies, but you left the raisins out of the ingredients list. How many cups/ounces did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I've updated the recipe - it's 1 cup of raisins.

      Delete