May 29, 2012

Banana Breakfast Squares


Even though I aspire to make everything from scratch, there are times when I either just don't have time OR (as in the case with this recipe) it's just so good the way it is, so why mess with it??

Back in 2009 I bought one of those magazines that was filled with Blue Ribbon recipe winners.  This recipe was in there, and I loved it from the moment I saw the picture!  Thankfully it is as good as it looks, and I have been making it ever since.  Banana pancakes are my favorite pancakes, so I just knew I would love this as well.  Both my husband and son (who are not fans of banana pancakes) both really enjoy this breakfast dish. 



This dish is perfect for when you have company.  It's quick and easy, so you can spend more time with your guests.  Really, it's perfect for anytime....

Banana Breakfast Squares adapted from Debbie Bracker's recipe


1, 17 oz can Pillsbury cinnamon rolls 
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 medium)
3 eggs
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 butter, softened
1/2 cup walnuts
maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.  In a large bowl combine eggs, banana and sugar until well blended.

Cut each cinnamon roll into 8 equal pie-shaped wedges.  Add the cinnamon rolls to the egg mixture and stir gently to combine.  Spoon mixture into the baking dish.  In a separate bowl, mix flour and brown sugar together.  With a fork cut in the butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.  Stir in walnuts, and sprinkle mixture over banana dough mixture.  


Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is puffed and set, and edges are golden brown.  To serve, cut into squares & drizzle with maple syrup.

2 comments: