April 8, 2013

Avocado Egg Salad


I've been trying to think of ways to use up all the eggs our chickens have been producing lately, but at the same time I want to keep it healthy.  This isn't always easy, as there are soooo many things you can do with eggs but the end result isn't always low calorie or necessarily "healthy".

Since I had half an avocado sitting in my fridge needing to be used up, I decided to make egg salad and add it in.  That sounded good and healthy to me!  I went with a low-carb wrap instead of regular bread.  Can I just tell you that I really love this sandwich.  The egg and avocado went so well together...they seemed like a match made in heaven.  This sandwich is perfect for breakfast or lunch.  I know I will be making this many times in the future.  Enjoy!

Avocado Egg Salad (makes two sandwiches/wraps)

3 eggs, hard boiled and cooled
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp yellow mustard
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder 
1/2 avocado 
2 tortilla wraps (any flavor would work)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cut up the cooled hard boiled eggs into small pieces and add it to a bowl.  With the back of your fork, mash up the eggs a little.  Add the mayo, mustard, onion & garlic powder.  Mix well, then add the salt & pepper to taste.  In a separate small bowl, mash up the avocado, then add it to the egg mixture.  Stir to combine.  Spread 1/2 the avocado egg mixture on one wrap, and the other 1/2 on another wrap.  Roll up, cut in half and serve.  You can also make the avocado egg mixture ahead of time, then cover and refrigerate for later use.

6 comments:

  1. 1. You have chickens, I'm uber jealous!! I've always wanted to have them squaking about outside and fresh eggs each day.
    2. Eggs + Avo combo in a wrap is such a great idea!!! I'll be trying it out this week for sure :)
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit - I love our chickens! It really is wonderful to be able to have fresh eggs daily, and to know those eggs came from well cared for chickens. It just makes me feel good ☺ Thanks for stopping by & commenting!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delish! Going to try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also envy you having chickens! Luckily my daughter works on a small farm and brings me home eggs every few weeks, so I just miss the fun part of having them. I am a professional proofreader, though, and I wanted to point out one typo... you didn't mean to say that eggs and avocados are "match made in heave"! :-) It made me laugh, though. Funny what one little letter will do.
    I am going to make this recipe today, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this and it is amazing!!!! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay - I'm so happy you liked it! Thanks for commenting ☺

    ReplyDelete