April 12, 2013

Smashed Sweet Potatoes



Sweet potatoes are one of my most favorite things to eat.  I just love them.  My son, however, HATES them.  I don't think I will ever be able to understand why.  What's not to love?  They are sweet...don't most kids like sweet things?  I have determined that he's just plain weird.  Maybe he'll like them when he gets older, after his taste buds change.  One (being me) can only hope!

Since he doesn't like them, I tend to avoid cooking them because I generally like dinner to be a pleasant experience.  However, once in a great while I just gotta have them....and I don't feel too bad about it because they are good for him after-all!

I saw this recipe on www.dlynz.com a while ago.  I knew I wanted to try it, so I printed it out and of course, put it in my pile of recipes to try.....and then forgot about it.  This week I had a craving for sweet potatoes and this recipe instantly came to mind.  I am really happy with how these came out - the spices were such a nice compliment to the sweet potatoes.  They were delicious.  I could have eaten them all myself (I'm sure my son wishes I had).  My husband loved them too, but of course my son complained all through dinner about how disgusting they were...and I only made him eat ONE slice!  Geez....I'm as glad as he is that dinner is over.  For me though, this recipe is a keeper....I'll just make it when he's not around!

Smashed Sweet Potatoes (adapted from www.dlynz.com)

2 sweet potatoes
1/2 tsp salt (for boiling water)
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper

Place 2 qts water in large saucepan, with 1/2 tsp salt, and bring to boil.  Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1" slices, then add them to the boiling water.  Simmer for about 10-12 minutes - you want them to be somewhat softened.  Remove from water and place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. 

In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion & garlic powder and pepper.  In a separate small bowl, mix together the melted butter and olive oil.  Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place a wire rack on top.  Using a flat bottomed bowl, slightly push down on a slice of sweet potatoe, being careful to not completely break it apart.  Brush the top with the butter mixture, then sprinkle a little bit of the spice mix on top.  Place on wire rack, spiced side down, and repeat the process until they are all lined on the wire rack.  Brush the tops with the butter mixture and then sprinkle the remaining spice mix over top.  Cook at 375 for about 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment