April 6, 2013

Bacon Pineapple Bites


OK, so I have been put on appetizer duty by my aunt.  She is planning on providing all the appetizers for her daughter's (my beautiful cousin) wedding.  There will be about 150 guests, so the plan is to pick appetizers that can be prepared ahead of time and with as little effort as possible.  Rule of thumb for that many guests - pick 5 appetizers and make sure you have enough.

So my amazing Aunt Judy has recruited me to help gather appetizer ideas, therefore you may see several appetizer postings in the next month or two!  I came across this one many years ago but couldn't find the recipe for it, so I just winged it.  I tried it with two different "toppings" just to see which one we liked better.  I did half with a sprinkling of a brown sugar & pepper mixture, and the other half with a teriyaki glaze.  Personally I thought both were yummy, but my husband preferred the ones with the teriyaki glaze.  Either way, they are super delicious.  However, they probably won't make an appearance at my cousin's wedding due to logistical reasons.  Too bad because these little babies are a perfect tasty appetizer.


Bacon Wrapped Pineapple (makes about 36)

2, 8oz cans of pineapple chunks, drained
2 package of bacon, cut in half lengthwise

Toppings:  Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar with about 3/4 tsp black pepper OR 1/4 teriyaki sauce 

Preheat oven to 375.  Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and place a wire cooling rack on top.  Wrap each piece of pineapple with the bacon and secure with a tooth pick, and place on the wire rack.  Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over top of all of them, OR if using the teriyaki sauce don't do anything yet.  Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes.  If you want to use the teriyaki sauce, after 15 minutes in the oven, brush the bacon pineapple pieces with the teriyaki glaze and cook for about another 15 minutes.  Serve hot or at room temp.

4 comments:

  1. You say...."Mix 1/4 cup with about 3/4 tsp black pepper"......1/4 cup what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - brown sugar. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're feeling adventurous, stuff some jalapenos with pineapple and cream cheese and wrap with bacon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replace pineapple with dates, and replace the date pits with feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete