April 29, 2013

Pork with Red Pepper Sauce

 
It's finally starting to feel like spring in Vermont - yay!  I was able to hang 4 loads of laundry outside today, which makes very happy.  I know it's weird, but hanging laundry is a very calming exercise for me.....I guess you could say it's therapeutic. I'm looking forward to many more days like today in the weeks to follow.

This recipe is more about the sauce than the pork.  The sauce is easy to adapt to your preferences, which can be fun.  Just use whatever you have for jam in the fridge.  I love to try new flavor combinations.  Sometimes they don't work, but other times you get lucky and discover something delicious.  This sauce fits into that category.  I was originally planning on using the last of my homemade blackberry jam for this, but when I opened it I discovered moldy jam.  While this was a bummer, I quickly decided to substitute the blackberry jam with some red pepper jelly.  I know that may sound odd, and I will admit I wasn't overly confident it would turn out delicious.

It did however, end up being quite delicious.  The end result almost had an oriental flavor to it, and it went really well with the pork.  Both my husband and son really liked it.  The next day I put a little of the leftover sauce on my broccoli and that was super yummy as well.  Give it a try!


Pork with Red Pepper Sauce

2 lbs pork loin
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup red pepper jelly
1 cup red wine, I used Pinot Noir
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes

Rinse the pork then pat dry.  Season the pork with salt and pepper generously.  My husband cooked the pork on the grill, but you can also cook it in the oven - I'd cook it for about 30 minutes at 350, or until it reads 140 on a meat thermometer.  

While the pork is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.  Add the red pepper jelly, wine, red pepper flakes, soy sauce and stir to combine.  Reduce by 1/2 and thickened.  In the last 5 minutes of cooking the pork, baste it with a little of the sauce.  When pork is ready, spoon sauce over the sliced pork before serving. 

1 comment:

  1. Dankwoods has no official account nor website. However in my quest for a legit online came through with their deals Bigg Boss Tamil

    ReplyDelete