June 1, 2012

Blueberry Pie


For some reason blueberry pie reminds me of summer.  Since summer is fast approaching, I figured it was time to make blueberry pie.  Isn't it funny how we wait for certain times of the year to make certain things?  Like pumpkin pie...people only seem to make it around Thanksgiving.  Maybe I should turn things around and make pumpkin pie in the summer and blueberry pie for Thanksgiving just to see who's paying attention!

I had made up my mind to make blueberry pie before my husband requested strawberry rhubarb pie.  I had to tell him I'd make him a pie, just not the one he wanted.  I think I see a strawberry rhubarb pie in the near future


This recipe comes from a Stonewall Kitchen cookbook.  It's the only blueberry pie recipe I will ever use.  It's delicious, and there really is no reason to mess with it.  The only thing I "changed" was that I added more blueberries than the recipe calls for.  I also don't use their pie crust recipe because I tried it and found that I prefer my own.  Oh, and their recipe has you brushing the top crust with an egg wash but I brush it with 1/2 & 1/2 and sprinkle sugar on instead.  Everything else is perfect the way it is.

Blueberry Pie

9-inch double pie crust (Click here for my Perfect Pie crust recipe)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
6 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add flour and stir to combine, about 1 minute. Add half the blueberries and all the sugar and cook 8-10 minutes. The sugar will be dissolved and the mixture has thickened. Add the remaining blueberries and the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook for another minute, then remove from heat. Let the filling cool to room temp.

Roll out one of the disks of dough and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, making sure the dough falls over the edges of the pie plate. Spoon blueberry mixture into the pie plate. Roll out the other disk of dough, and cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Place strips on top of filling, creating a crisscross lattice pattern. Trim off excess crust and crimp the edges with together with a fork. Place pie in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

Place pie on cookie sheet and brush top with cream or 1/2 & 1/2, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

15 comments:

  1. This does look perfect, from the crust to those blueberries oozing out of the side. I picked my own blueberries last year in New Hampshire, but have since moved to southern California, and I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya - I spent my elementary school years in Irvine, CA and loved it. However, there is nothing like good old New England...especially the fresh blueberries in the summer!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I'll definitely have to try your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you try it and love it as much as we do.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this recipe. I got inspired and made it. I omitted the nutmeg, but I also added the zest one one LIME and a tsp of vanilla. Served with french vanilla ice cream. It was so good! Thanks for posting!

      Delete
    3. Yay - I love when people comment after they've tried the recipe! Glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  3. Yumm, this looks delicious! I picked up some organic blueberries the other day and was wondering what I can make with them. Now I know! Will probably replace the sugar with honey though and serve it with vanilla ice cream, as Susanna suggested. Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! One question. The recipe says "11/2 cup sugar". Is that 1 1/2 cups or did you mean 1/2 cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I hate it when I have a typo in my recipes - I really hope I didn't mess anyone up! In answer to your question - it is 1/2 sugar, and I have updated the recipe to reflect that. Thank you so much for your question!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the quick reply!

      Delete
  5. Never heard of cooking the blueberries first. Will have to try this one and see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this with blackberries (couldn't find blueberries at the market), added a tad more sugar, and YUM! great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing pictures, and it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete