June 26, 2012

Grilled Dill Potatoes


It's grilling season - YA HOO!!  Some of you might be thinking it's no big deal, but summers are short in Vermont.  Therefore, I can't help but get excited that we can be outside grilling on a warm summer day.  Don't get me wrong, we grill year round, weather permitting (I should say my husband does).  But during the dead of winter, the only thing he's willing to brave the cold for is a good steak on the grill.  Let's face it, it's just not the same any other way.  

I try to take advantage of the grilling season by cooking as much as possible on the grill.  And since my husband is the one who 98% of the time works the grill, that means more time for me doing other things....like blogging.

I love grilled veggiesHowever, the idea for these potatoes came from my Aunt Judy.  When I was in Maine visiting her last summer she threw these together and they were so delicious.  I had never used fresh dill before then, so at the time I was surprised she was using it on the potatoes.  I'm not really sure why that surprised me, especially since I put dill in my potato salad!  Anyway, ever since then I've been buying (and now growing) more fresh herbs, especially ones I hadn't really tried fresh before.  You could add other fresh herbs to these potatoes or use whatever herbs are your favorite.  These potatoes are simple, but oh so delicious!  (PS - the potatoes pictured are not cooked....I forgot to snap a shot after cooking!)

 
Grilled Dill Potatoes

2 lbs of really small red potatoes, cut in half
3 tbsp good olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 heaping tbsp fresh dill, chopped


After cutting the potatoes in half, place them on a microwave safe dish.  Cook them in the microwave for 8-10 minutes - this is just to get the cooking process started.  Put potatoes in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (3 tbsp of olive oil might seem like a lot, but they really need it when cooking on the grill).  Toss everything together until the potatoes are evenly coated.  Place potatoes on a flat grill pan lined with tin foil - I have a grill pan with holes in the bottom, but if you don't have one you can use a cookie sheet.


Place on the grill which has been preheating on medium heat - if your grill has a thermometer, the temperature should be around 400.  Grill for about 35-45 minutes.  Make sure to check on them often to stir and flip them so they get browned on all sides.  You don't want them to be burned, but you do want them to be a nice rich brown and that's when they are done.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment