June 30, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

 
Wow, I can't believe it's June 30th already.  Summer will be over before you know it...but let's not think about that right now.  It's another gorgeous Saturday in Vermont, so the thought of snow right now is just plain depressing!

I finally managed to get my hands on some rhubarb and local strawberries, so my husband's wish for strawberry rhubarb pie has officially been fulfilled.  Oddly, I've never made strawberry rhubarb pie before.  So one of the things I do before attempting a new dish, is to read over SEVERAL different recipes and then take elements from each one that I think are important and create my own recipe.  Sometimes it is successful and sometimes it's not, but to me that's the best way to find what works and what doesn't.  That's what I did with this pie, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  It really turned out perfect and I don't think there's anything I'd change about it.  



We all really loved this pie.  In fact, my husband said he thought it was the best pie I've ever made....although I'm pretty sure he says that every time I make a pie!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

3 cups strawberries, cut in half or quartered
2 1/2 - 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp minute tapioca
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
3 tbsp butter
1 recipe for 9 inch double crust (click here for recipe)
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cream or 1/2 & 1/2
Turbinado sugar
 
Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl toss the strawberries and rhubarb together with the sugar, tapioca and flour.  Add the lemon juice, vanilla and a dash of cinnamon & nutmeg and stir to combine.  Line your pie plate with the bottom layer of pie dough and pour in the filling. Break up the 3 tablespoons of butter and place evenly on top of the filling.  Cover with the top crust and either crimp the edges all around with a fork or use your fingers.  Cut 4 slits into the top crust to let the steam escape. 

In a small bowl add the egg yolk and cream and stir to combine.  With a pastry brush spread the egg mixture evenly over the top crust.  Sprinkle the Turbinado sugar all over the top.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.  Make sure to let pie cool completely before cutting in to it.  

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, I have rhubarb in the fridge and have been looking for just the right recipe,...might have to try yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting - I hope you'll give it a try ☺

    ReplyDelete