June 10, 2012

Vermont Vinaigrette

I love to make my own salad dressing.  Vinaigrettes are my favorite because they are lower in calories, and personally I just like them better. 

This recipe comes from the kitchen where I used to work.  It was the most requested dressing that I made there, and there were some regulars that were very disappointed if it was not available.  I don't know why exactly it's called "Vermont Vinaigrette", but if I had to guess I'd say it's because it has a very earthy flavor to it.  It's full of herbs which gives it such a distinct flavor.  The ingredients in this dressing blend together so nicely, and it really has a flavor like no other dressing I've ever had.  

If you enjoy making your own dressing, I highly suggest giving this one a try.  Besides balsamic vinaigrette, this one is a favorite of mine.  This recipe makes a lot of dressing, so feel free to cut it in half if you don't need a lot of it.   

Vermont Vinaigrette

6 cloves/tsp chopped garlic
¼ cup mustard
1/8 cup honey
1 ¼ cup salad oil
½ cup apple juice
1 tbsp dill
½ tbsp thyme
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Put all ingredients together in an airtight container (jar with lid) and shake like crazy until well combined.  


  1. REally? A TABLESPOON of salt? not me.....

  2. Well, like I said, this recipe makes a LOT of dressing!

  3. What is salad oil?? Just any oil you like??

    1. Vegetable or canola, but probably not olive oil (that would change the flavor too much).