August 12, 2012

Basil Mayonnaise


If you are a regular here, you know all about my aversion to mayonnaise.  I just don't care for it, and there's really not much more I can say about it.  No good explanation as to why...I just don't like it and I never have. There are occasions however, where mayonnaise has it's place - even for me.  There is ONE sandwich (which you will see in a future blog) that I make where I will put mayonnaise on the bread as a condiment, every other sandwich is either eaten dry or with mustard. I know.....I'm weird.

A few years back I was watching Ina Garten on the Food Network and she was making this basil mayonnaise.  Since everyone else in my house enjoys mayonnaise on most of their sandwiches, and since I always have basil growing in my garden, I decided to put this mayonnaise together to have on sandwiches we were going to have that evening for dinner.  It was a hit, especially for my husband.  So now I make this mayonnaise regularly for my family to use.  This is the mayonnaise I use on that ONE sandwich, and I have to say that I actually like it!



Basil Mayonnaise (by Ina Garten)

1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic, minced

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

3 comments:

  1. I am not a mayonnaise fan either, but I would love to try yours. Looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a basil mayonnaise at one of my favorite restaurants & with your recipe i'm going to try making it on my own! yum!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for my chickpea salad, so excited to see how it goes with it!

    ReplyDelete