August 10, 2012

Chicken with Mushroom Cream Sauce

 
I recently had one of those days where I couldn't think of a single thing to make for dinner. Don't you hate it when that happens?  I knew I wanted to have chicken, but was bored with our usual favorites.  So, I pulled out an old cookbook I've had for years and saw a recipe for chicken with a mustard sauce.  I pondered that for a minute and quickly came up with an idea for my own version.

It needed something to make it more substantial, so I knew right away that mushrooms would do the trick.  For a little more depth of flavor I decided to cook the mushrooms in wine, and the final result of the dish was just delicious!  All three of us enjoyed this dinner, and we all agreed it's a keeper.  Enjoy!



Chicken with Mushroom Cream Sauce  (serves 4)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package mushrooms, sliced (button or portabella)
1/4 cup white wine 
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp butter 


In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter and add the mushrooms.  Cook for 2 minutes then add the white wine, and saute on medium-low heat until wine has evaporated.  Once mushrooms are done, remove from heat and set aside.  

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, then add to skillet.  Saute chicken until cooked through, about 15 minutes, turning one time.  Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.  Add the chicken broth, cream, oregano, cooked mushrooms and mustard to the pan and whisk to combine.  Cook for about 3 minutes, then pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment