August 28, 2012

Perfect Biscuits


I have to admit that biscuits aren't my bread of choice.  If I had to choose, I would pick cornbread or a dinner roll over biscuits.  I've never understood the whole biscuits and gravy for breakfast thing either....well, until I tried it at Penny Cluse in Burlington, VT - they make the most AMAZING gravy, definitely the best I've had in my life!  Alas, the only time I make biscuits is when I make chicken and biscuits.
 
Over the years, I've tried lots of different biscuit recipes.  However I always came back to this one, and unfortunately, I don't know where I got it from.  When I first started to take an interest in cooking I would see recipes that interested me in magazines and I would write them down in a notebook, but I never jotted down the sources.  This one just never fails - it's always fluffy, moist and just plain perfect.  At this point in time, I don't feel the need to try any other biscuit recipes...this is the one for me.....for now......

Biscuits 

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425, and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Add the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder to a large bowl and whisk to combine.  Cut in the shortening until crumbs form.  Gently stir in the milk to combine.

Turn out onto floured surface and knead 15-20 times.  Pat dough down to 1 inch thick, then cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour.  Place biscuits onto cookie sheet and bake for 14 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.  Makes 6 biscuits.

3 comments:

  1. These look really lovely - in Cornwall we spread them with clotted cream and our favourite jam. I honestly can't imagine having them with gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jam sounds like a lovely condiment for these yummy biscuits! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Could you substitute buttermilk for the regular milk? Thanks

    ReplyDelete