August 3, 2012

Moist Banana Bread


Who doesn't love banana bread, right?  There are tons of recipes out there claiming to be the best, and I'm sure I've tried most of them.  For me, the most important elements of a good banana bread are that it's moist and that you can actually taste the banana! 

After trying many different recipes, I have settled on my own version.  This recipe creates a super moist bread, and it's just the right amount of sweetness, so it doesn't overpower the banana flavor.  I tend to prefer making a bunch of mini loaves when I make it.  This recipe makes 6 mini loafs (or 2 regular size loafs) , and I usually freeze 3 or 4.  That way I can pull it out whenever I'm in a pinch, and since it's a small loaf it's easier to resist the urge to cut a slice for myself every time I enter the kitchen

The Best Banana Bread

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
 
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
dash of ground ginger
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
6 over ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 300. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray (or 6 mini loaf pans).

Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and pecans and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time, then add the bananas. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating, and stirring until just combined. Bake for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean (reduce cooking time to about 45 minutes if using mini loaf pans).

No comments:

Post a Comment